Jazz Guitar Studies
WHAT MAKES IT JAZZ!
Larry Newcomb, Guitar and Presentation
Joe Vincent Tranchina, Piano and Presentation
Specifically Designed for Each Venue
A Typical Program:
1. HOW HIGH THE MOON demonstrates Larry playing Charlie Parker’s classic bebop head (melody) built on the harmonic structure of an older popular song (How High the Moon).
2. SUMMERTIME demonstrates the difference between a jazz arrangement and the familiar rendition of Summertime from PORGY & BESS.
3. THE SUMMER KNOWS demonstrates the difference between the song as heard in the film “The Summer of ‘42” and an arrangement in Latin rhythm.
4. INSTANT WATER is Larry's new composition based on a previous harmonic structure.
5. IPANEMA is Joe’s re-harmonization of this very popular Bossa Nova.
6. GOLD TOP is Larry's BLUES composition paying tribute to the great 70s funk bands.
7. ALL OF ME in C minor demonstrates Joe’s re-casting in a minor key of a popular song usually performed in a major key.
8. BOOGIE WALTZETTE demonstrate Joe’s composition based on Rhythmic Displacement.
9. TAKE FIVE demonstrates jazz usage of odd time signatures in this case “5/4”
10. ROUTE 66 is a BLUES “travelogue.”
Copyright 2017 Larry Newcomb, Ph.D.. All rights reserved.
web by Loop Seven